[Zope3-dev] Zope Package (Directory) Structure Reorganization

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:02:18 +0200

Myroslav Opyr wrote:
> Because there is File that represent anything static (including text)
> and is the part of OFS. DTML Document and DTML Method were dynamic data
> processed with Zope/App as well as Page Templates are processed before
> dispatching result to client.

Calling it 'static content' instead of OFS sounds like an interesting
idea.

But.. what I meant is that an image is a kind of file, but gets its
own class of object. Why? Why not have special OFS content then for
textfile objects as well (with an editor interface). Why not something for
a mail message? After all one can run into those on the filesystem.. and so on.

> >Anyway, I certainly didn't think this through when I wrote it. :)
> >
> So there is static and dynamic content. And all all static stuff was
> considered to go to Content/OFS. Thus my 0.05???. Why not have this
>
> Zope/App/
>    Content/
>        Static/
>            Container/ --> I do not see clear distinction between Container
>                           and Folder, Stephan should know this better

I think Containerish things are so special they should be a separate class
of content, and not be part of the 'static' category. In some interpretations
I wouldn't even call them 'content' at all, just a way to organize content.

I can't see any need for a 'static' folder; I don't see how it would
be different from a normal one.

>            File/
>            Image/
>        ZPTPage/
>        Folder/
>
> I'm not sure I've recreated general picture but probably "Static
> Content" could be replacement to "OFS".

It's an interesting idea, though the intent then is changed some. In
Zope, in some senses, no content is static, though the content that just
can present itself without accessing any other objects for its data
seems to come closest.

Would OFS or 'static' allow arbitrary record or propertyset style
objects? After all, this would be static content. Perhaps someone
else can make this more clear.. but if we can't, then I'm leaning
towards just calling it all 'content' and be done with it. Some of this
content may be more 'dynamic' than others, but the intent of Zope3 content
is that it is all rather static in its nature, and that the dynamicness
is generally added by views, adapters, and so on.

Regards,

Martijn