[Zope3-dev] service definition naming conventions

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:29:43 -0400

For most services, I am using three interfaces: a generic interface, a
placeless interface, and a placeful interface.  This is my naming convention,
using the factory service as an example:

IFactoryService (generic interface for all factory services, used to create
the service definition)
IGlobalFactoryService (placeless subclass, file-system based)
ILocalFactoryService (placeful subclass, OFS-based)

Similarly, that would be IRoleService, IGlobalRoleService, and
ILocalRoleService...and so on.

Since, as I understand it, placeless ComponentArchitecture filesystem
services should go in Zope.ComponentArchitecture, the first two interfaces go
there, and the last one goes in Zope.App.OFS.Services.LocalFactoryService.

I'd like to propose using this naming convention for all upcoming services.

More controversially, I want to rename all services and service interfaces to
follow this Global and Local naming convention. Thus (to present the biggest
and most potentially upsetting change first), I might change
Zope.ComponentArchitecture.Service.Service to
Zope.ComponentArchitecture.GlobalServiceManager.GlobalServiceManager and
Zope.App.OFS.ServiceManager.ServiceManager to
Zope.App.OFS.LocalServiceManager.LocalServiceManager

I am using this naming convention now for my own work; if I get *positive*
feedback on this idea for renaming current services then I'll proceed there
in the latter half of the week.  I'm not necessarily expecting positive
feedback, though. :-)

Gary