[Zope3-dev] Twisted framework refactored

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:43:23 +0200

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
[snip]
> >From the Twisted changelog:
> * Major changes to the capabilities of the static web server, in an
> attempt to be able to use Twisted instead of Zope at work; my plan is to
> capture many of the conveniences of Zope without the implicitness and
> complexity that comes with working around implicit behavior when it
> fails.

I think this describes Zope 2's behavior in many places pretty accurately --
Zope 2's magic is convenient but not perfect, and thus leads to
complicated workarounds.

Zope 3 uses less magic, and the magic that it does use is aiming to be
far closer to perfect magic. So this comment doesn't apply to Zope 3
so much.

However, Zope 3 is not ready and won't be ready for a while, so I can
see a Twisted developer's ambition to switch to Twisted.

That said, I would hope the two projects can live in a symbiosis as well,
if possible; I think there is an interesting cross-fertilization going
on currently. Unfortunately I've heard the ZServer has somewhat different
requirements than Twisted offers; the impression I get is that Twisted is
somewhat single-minded in its application of an event-based single-threaded
approach, while ZServer developers claim that while such an event-based
nature is good, multi-thread support is definitely needed for long-running
transactions (which could otherwise block the server).

I think a good idea might be to organize some occasion where the two sides can
duke it out; if no agreement is reached both sides will likely still learn
things from each other.

Regards,

Martijn