[Zope3-dev] Zope3 vs CVS Python

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:55:08 -0400

[Tim, sees this in current Zope3 tests with current CVS Python under
 Win98SE:

ERROR: testPipelining (Zope.Server.HTTP.tests.testHTTPServer.Tests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Code\Zope3\lib\python\Zope\Server\HTTP\tests\testHTTPServer.py",
             line 174, in testPipelining
    response_body = response.read(length)
  File "C:\CODE\PYTHON\lib\httplib.py", line 431, in read
    self.length = self.length - amt
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'str' and 'int'

That one looks worse!  Adding some prints shows that self.length contains
the string 'UNKNOWN' at this point, and amt is 0.
]

[Jeremy Hylton]
> Can you run httplib.py as a script?  There's a bit of test code
> that is run if __name__ == "__main__".  I've made a bunch of
> changes to httplib recently, but haven't tested then on Windows.

[Tim does so, and sends output to Jeremy]

> Thanks!  That looks okay by me.  You should really ship OpenSSL with
> Python on Windows so that the test produces more output <wink>.

You can take that over from Mark Hammond:

    http://www.python.org/sf/576711

A good first step would be to remove thr requirement that ActivePerl be
installed first <wink/sigh>.

> I guess I'll wait for Shane to point a finger at someone who changed
> httplib before looking at it more.

If Shane has a clue, that would be good, but in the absence of any other
reports maybe we should just assume it's a Win9x glitch.  I don't want to
spend time on those (I doubt anyone would argue that Win9x is a serious Zope
platform!).  I'll try it under Win2K tomorrow, and then I can annoy you when
it fails there too <wink>.

The Zope3 tests fare a little worse on Win98SE using Python 2.2.1, but the
test in question (testPipelining) passes then -- from which I guess we can
conclude that something changed somewhere ...