[Zope3-dev] StructuredText

Alastair Burt burt@dfki.de
23 Aug 2002 20:55:25 +0200

jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton) writes:

> Perhaps ReStructuredText (rst) would be better suited to solving your
> problem.  If we're going to a have a structured text product in Zope3,
> I'd love it see it based on rst.
>
> I'm sure there's a better reference, but I don't know what it is:
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/rst/quickref.html

I actually prefer the current STX. The indentation makes it easier to see
the document structure and the syntax of hyperlinks makes them easier to
create and maintain.

Is there not a case for building a new STX on top of something like
SimpleParse[1]? David Mertz shows the beginnings of such as system in a
DeveloperWorks article[2]. The EBNF notation makes the symbology more
intelligible and I think it would make it easier to customise the symbology
and the rendered output for particular document preparation needs.

--- Alastair