[Zope3-dev] Configuration system

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:25:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Jim Fulton wrote:
> > Is there an overview of the meta-configuaration and configuration
> > system anywhere?  (I searched dev.zope.org, but if it's there I couldn't
> > figure out where).
>
> Hm, not that I'm aware of. We could definately use one.

Well, if you can tolerate my questions <grin> maybe I can write one.

> That assertion needs to be removed from the style guide. I see no reason
> to require a separate file per interface. OTOH, I have no promlem with
> you refactoring that file if you think it would make things clearer.

Well, let me make this observation:  I originally located the Interface
I was interested in in the conbined file by doing a grep.  Later
I went back looking for that and the other interfaces in the
Configuration directory, and spent at least a couple of minutes being
totally puzzled because there were no "IXxxx" files in the directory
and I (naively) couldn't figure out where I'd been looking at that
Interface definition.  So I redid the grep and then I understood.
You'd think XxxxInterfaces would have been enough clue, but the
pattern matching part of my brain was looking for the other pattern.

So although it isn't a big deal (it is easy enough for my brain to
wrap itself around having a second pattern for which to scan), I'd
prefer to see *all* interface definition files start with I.  For
a file with multiple definitions, maybe it could be InterfacesForXXXX.

I agree that there are times when it makes more sense for multiple
Interfaces to be defined in the same file, when they are closely
related (and especially if there are subclasses).  But I can also
see value in strictly adhering to that style guide recommendation,
since it makes it really easy to see what Interfaces a given
component directory defines.  And I think there is some value in that.
On the other hand, it also *clutters* the directory, so I can be
convinced either way <grin>.

--RDM