[Zope3-dev] Windows Installer

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:09:22 -0500

Andy McKay wrote:
> I've written a very basic Windows Installer for Zope 3 using Inno. All it
> does it a fresh checkout, build and make an installer out of it, including
> Python 2.2.2 for good measure. Theres no service install or testing done.
> I'm going to set this running every night, so whether it works will vary
> depending upon the state of cvs tree.
>
> Hopefully this will help people who don't have a means of building.
>
> http://www.agmweb.ca/Zope3

Hey, that's pretty neat!  Could you check in your script to CVS?
(Perhaps under Zope3/win32/installer.)

I tried it under Wine.  The whole installer worked, but Python itself
did not.  That surprised me, since the standard Python distribution has
worked well under Wine for a long time now.  I wonder if ActiveState's
Python exercises some bugs in Wine.

Also, I'd like to point out that Zope 3 compiles well using MinGW
(http://www.mingw.org).  MinGW is much simpler than Cygwin, and
distutils supports it.  The whole combination even works under Wine,
making for an easy-to-setup cross-compiler suite.

Shane