[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:50:15 -0500

  CD> Another thought: Would it be possible to develop "locks" such
  CD> that some objects might have "version lock conflict resolution"
  CD> such that they can handle being modified in two different
  CD> versions at once?

The current lock (aka version) architecture is fundamentally tied to
the "there is only one version" model.  This design choice is threaded
all the way down to the file format for FileStorage.  I like the
current architecture both because I think it is useful and because it
is already designed and implemented.  Without commenting on the merits
of the proposed feature, I don't have the energy to rip out the
current version code and replace it with something more complex :-).

Jeremy