[Zope3-dev] packaging conventions note

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:50:26 -0500

At 10:28 AM 12/6/02 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>The new naming conventions make it possible once again to stick some
>small amount of code in __init__.py that exports the piblic classes.
>Previously, this was problematic because the class name and the module
>name were often the same.  No more.  So I'm -1 on public.py now --
>__init__.py will do just fine.  (As long as you don't use import *. :-)

*Please* don't put things in the __init__.py of Zope 3 packages, especially
those packages that have subpackages.  I'd like to be able to import and
reuse pieces of Z3 functionality without loading entire frameworks and
their requirements.  This made it very difficult to use Zope 2 pieces.

I can live with the name "public", but I'd much prefer "api", which is both
shorter and more meaningful.