[Zope3-dev] packaging conventions note

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:00:29 -0500

    SH> The clash is illustrated by Zope 2's DateTime module.  Because
    SH> DateTime/__init__.py has a "from DateTime import DateTime" in
    SH> it, the following statements are not equivalent:

    | from DateTime import DateTime
    | import DateTime.DateTime

    SH> This is rather disconcerting. :-)

Ah, yes, it is!  That's why I don't do stuff like that in my
__init__.py :).

    SH> Sure, I can too.  Zope 3 won't be as easy to navigate as it
    SH> could have been, but that won't matter once we're all familiar
    SH> with the code.

I'm not concerned with the folks who are familiar with the code.  I'm
worried that the code will be daunting or unapproachable for newbies,
and that would be a shame because we'd discourage valuable future
contributors.

I'm not saying that the new conventions will necessarily do that
though.  Time will tell.

-Barry