[Zope3-dev] Re: ObjectHub

Gary Poster gary@ZOPE.COM
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:34:10 -0500

Steve Alexander wrote:

As I wrote privately to Steve, I stupidly forgot that we were returning
hubids from register, which is definitely what we want.  So I agree that
returning a Boolean is not as nice as what we have now.

To new proposal:

 > For another example:
 >
 >   newly_registered_count = 0
 >   for wrapped_object in iteratorOfSomeObjectHierarchy():
 >       hubid, isregistered = hub.register(wrapped_object)
 >       newly_registered_count += isregistered  # True == 1, False == 0
 >   print "I registered %s additional objects" % newly_registered_count

...I suppose.  +0.  That's a reasonable use case, but I don't care for
the return signature that much, and the code above doing a try-except
instead isn't that much uglier.

 > There's a similar issue with 'unregister': it raises a NotFoundError if
 > the object/location is not registered.
 >
 > We can change 'unregister' to return a bool. This is fine, as it
 > currently does not return anything meaningful.

+.5: if the change above is implemented,, +1, and if not, -0.

Gary