[Zope3-dev] Excessive long traceback info in TALES

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:31:29 -0500

> FWIW, keeping filenames out of tracebacks was a fairly strong
> goal of the traceback hackery we've done thus far. It was done in
> response to numerous recurring "security-related bug reports", with
> people feeling that any disclosure of filenames is bad. While one
> can argue that point, we've had people in the past willing to post
> this as a "security issue" on public security-related sites, and
> it's really not a good use of time trying to fight that sort of
> PR battle.

As a matter of fact, I think tracebacks should only be displayed when
a special developer switch is set -- but when that switch is set (or
perhaps when 'Manager' permission is granted) I like my tracebacks
uncastrated.  Zope3 is so far from being usable in deployment that for
now, I think the needs of developers should prevail (if you want it to
ever *become* a deployable system).