[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/schemagen Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/schemagen - New directory

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:37:39 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Stephan Richter writes:
>> > I think here is a perfect example of why acronyms are not a good
>> > thing. What is "schemagen"?
>>
>>Not an acronym.  ;-)
>

> Right, 'schemagen' is the plural in dutch of a schemag, a hideous
> monster from the ancient Dutch Sinterklaas cycle of mythology.
>
> """
> A thousand schemagen raised up from the dark swamp and fired blasts
> of pure magic at the noble defender of Truth, Sinterklaas.
> """
>
> Actually, it's intended to be pythonmodulese for 'schema generation'. Python
> already has an addon module 'HTMLGen' so it's not completely unprecedented.

But you see, we all interpreted it differently at first glance.  This is
why I do not feel that giving modules short, lowercase names is the best
advice.  Twisted is full of odd names like this.  C code often uses this
convention, and I feel like we're actually taking a step backward by
making this a recommendation.

Don't get me wrong--if mandated, I won't object to the new conventions.
  But I think the elegance and simplicity of giving modules and classes
the same name is being overlooked.

Shane