[Zope3-dev] separation of view hierarchy

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:05:59 +0100

Paul Everitt wrote:
> >We're considering a special package where you can add page templates
>
> Hmm, neat idea.  Really neat.  There's a lot that can be done this way
> and it likely reduces the number of knobs that would confront people.
>
> (Minor note, though: you'll want some other types besides page
> templates -- images, css files, js files, etc.)

That would go into a special 'resource' package.

> >and page templates only (uploading them using FTP or WebDAV or
> >filesystem
> >sync). The package is configured to work with an interface and may be
>
> By "configured" you mean "pre-configured", and thus people won't be
> confronted with that complexity, right?

Right, someone would preconfigure it. Possibly that is the view developer
himself, but at least he only needs to only do it once for each
interface.

We will have to find out what the optimal UI is for all the functionality
after initial use. I expect there'll be a lot of possible ways to improve
it after we'll have some experience with it.

> >associated with a view class/factory. There can then be a browse user
> >interface where you can get information from the interface and also
> >all methods defined on the view.
>
> If this information is introspectible via the web, then lots can happen.

Should be introspectible though the web. You still don't have some of the
other indirections, like macros used, but we could have the same
type of thing there.

> I'm particularly interested in the discoverability issue.
[snip examples]
> (Don't say grep.) :^)

Yes, I agree we need to provide introspection features so view developers
never have to grep to find out anything. I think most of the information
is there to be introspected (interfaces, view modules with python code
we want to see an API for, macros); we need to think out a good user interface
for it all.

Regards,

Martijn