[Zope3-dev] separation of view hierarchy

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:19:02 -0500

> My big problem at the moment with ProposedDirectoryHierarchy is the
> removal of the View package. If we only have zope.app.browser instead of
> zope.app.view.browser, there's absolutely no way to factor out code
> that's specif to views but not specific to browsers. For instance
> sorting of folder contents, helper formatting functions, and so on.

Sorting would not be considered a View, but an Adapter functionality and
should be located with the actual folder code. Also, as we later noticed View
was a bad name, since we often wanted to include Resources as well, so
Presentation (or an abbreviation of it) would be better.

But I could agree that having such a package might not be bad, otherwise we
have all sorts of stuff lying around in zope.app later, like vfs, smtp, ldap,
imap, pop3 and so on, and I think that it could be very confusing, since
peopl might think pop3 is a pop client, but it really only contains POP3
presentation code. I think having a "zope.app.presentation" (or
"zope.app.present") package might not be a bad idea after all.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter