[Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:20:02 -0500

At 03:28 PM 12/16/02 +0100, holger krekel wrote:

>My main concern is basically that in a more complex (e.g. developer's setup)
>you have two modules with the same name in your pythonpath.

Actually, no, you won't.  sys.path only contains directories, not modules
or packages.

>thanks for the explanation.  IMO without further checks (e.g. warnings for
>duplicate names in different locations) this can be very confusing
>especially if you are remotely analyzing a customer problem who might
>have installed lots of stuff and has a path with many items.

How is that different from PYTHONPATH now?  If it has more than one
directory that contains a module, the first one is loaded.  The only
difference now is that if a module or subpackage contained in a namespace
package *isn't* found, the search continues along the path.

There isn't any way to actually have two of anything.  Only *one*
__init__.py (the first) for a namespace package will be loaded.  Only the
first version found of any immediately contained item will be loaded.