[Zope3-dev] Zip import and sys.path manipulation (was Re: directory hierarchy proposal)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:08:38 -0500

> > I've seen several places where what you propose isn't enough: when I
> > tried putting everything in a zipfile, I ended up giving up when I
> > realized that there are places that use os.stat() on filenames thus
> > constructed.
>
> This is to ease development. In development mode, we check if the
> data on disk has changed and reread it if it has. This wouldn't be
> applicable to zip files.

How do we turn this off?  I think it would be a good exercise to see
if we could load Zope3 from a zip file.  (Though I've got to say that
the ~3 seconds startup time on my 2 year old Linux box is pretty
speedy, so I'm not sure we could or need to make it much faster than
that.)