[Zope3-dev] mild ramble: the object hub and site definition by services

Steve Alexander s.alexander@lancaster.ac.uk
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:58:57 +0000

> Not sure :-), I just want to describe a possible use case and you can
> decide, if this can be done with one hub.
>
> Document managing and archiving on an extranet site. This is one site,
> where customers of a company and actors in the company have shared
> information spaces, where all documents regarding the relevant business
> process are handled. As this can become a rather high volume, we thought
> of mounted storages, for each customer or group of customers. This would
> allow the easy archiving, a way to save closed customer relations and
> would allow a migration on several servers after time. For this each
> storage should have it's own indices. It should be possible to remount
> old storages and the hole functionality should work again. I'm not sure,
> if this can be done with one central objectHub.
>
> I think that mounting different storages with different types will be
> used more in the future, also the exchange of storages  between
> different servers.

My intuition is that you'll want one central hub for this application
(perhaps not the ContentHub / ObjectHub as service). Then, you'll want
indexes that tell you in which storage and at which path the content for
a hubId lives.

I guess the point is that you have a central point where you allocate
unique ids to your content. These ids will be globally unique to your
application.

It may even be that you'll want your own extended ObjectHub to deal with
application-specific details of this. You might want to implement your
own service (not the ObjectHub service) for this application.

After the alpha, when we get to discussing trickier object hub stuff in
more detail, it would be good if you can discuss this use-case to inform
design decisions.

Please add your use-case to the AdvancedObjectHub wiki page I just created:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/AdvancedObjectHub

--
Steve Alexander