[Zope3-dev] event-meta.zcml placement? i18n-meta.zcml?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:13:13 -0500

Gary Poster wrote:
> The event-meta.zcml is placed now in Zope/App, rather than in
> Zope/Event.  This contradicts the zcml docs, does a funny repoint to the
>  Zope.Event.metaConfigure.py file anyway, and finally makes it even
> harder than usual to find the pertinent event meta zcml if you go
> hunting for it.

The metaConfigure.py needs to move too. That was an oversight of mine.

> 1) what was the rationale for this?

Anything outside of zope.app needs to be usable outside of the
application server. This means it should have no dependencies on zope.app.
In addition, anything outside os zope.app should have mimimal dependencies on
other zope packages.

There should be no zcml in packages outside of zope.app and zope.configure.

> 2) I don't see mention of zcml in the grand renaming scheme.  If we're
> going through the effort, might it make sense to make some
> zcml-placement style guidelines (both configure.zcml and meta.zcml) as
> well?  For instance, if there is a reason for this move, it would be
> good to document it somewhere.

OK. So, there should be no zcml outside of zope.app and zope.configure. :)

Would you mind documenting this somewhere?

> FWIW, the i18n package does this too (i.e., see Zope/App/i18n-meta.zcml).

Right.  We need to move the metaConfigure modules for these. Would you mind
moving these?