[Zope3-dev] Slow down

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:48:29 -0500

Speed kills.

I *really* appreciate help getting to alpha 1, but please be careful
about your checkins.

I went to do some work this afternoon and found that Zope didn't start
any more.  There was an incomplete refactoring checked in that left
some zcml files broken. I fixed these and, to be safe, ran the tests.
There were two independent sets of test failures. (There's also a test
import error due to tests that rely on optional software.)
Two hours later, I finally got the test failures cleaned up. (Barry
still needs to arrange for the bsddb storage tests not to run when bsddb
isn't installed.)

Please be careful before a check in to make sure:

- You've completed any moves. When moving files, it's best to
   remove the old ones right away. Otherwise, tests that depend on
   old locations will still work but will be broken for other
   people.

- All the unit tests pass. This is getting to be a pain because
   it takes a long time for the tests to run.  (I suspect that someone
   has checked in a test that takes too long to run.) It takes just as
   long for someone trying to clean up bad checkins to run the tests.

- You can still start and run Zope. (Yes, I know we need functional tests.)

- Don't use linux cvs with DOS editing programs, We don't want DOS
   line endings in CVS. Today they caused a test to fail, at least on linux.