[Zope3-dev] Slow down

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:33:46 -0500

  JF> Steve Alexander wrote:
  >> The ZEO connection tests seem to be taking quite a while to
  >> run. I wonder if some of these are more 'functional' than 'unit'
  >> tests.

  JF> After the grand renaming, it might be acceptable to tell people
  JF> that they only need to run the zope tests (Python test.py zope).

Most of the ZEO tests are functional tests.  They test the behavior of
a client and server together, which involves many classes and two
processes.  The primary expense of these tests is spawning server
processes to test against.

It seems plausible that a Zope developer ignore these tests, but it's
essential that people making changes in ZODB run them.  If I run just
the ZEO tests, it takes 204 seconds for 116 tests.  The other 2600
tests in the Zope3 suite take about the same amount of time.

Jeremy