[Zope3-dev] Re: practice and theory: event service and connotations of "implementing an interface"

Gary Poster gary@zope.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:49:13 -0500

Steve Alexander wrote:
> I'll excplain this at more length below. Basically, you're right in this:
>
>  > Can an object truly claim to implement an interface merely by having
>  > the method name, even if it does not live up to the descriptive
>  > contract?
>
> However, that is not the case with a method raising an exception.
> Raising an exception is always a valid alternative to doing the work
> requested.
>
> If you'd said:
>
>   Can an object truly claim to implement an interface if it always
>   raises an exception in response to a calling a method given in the
>   interface?
>
> Then the answer is "yes".

(longer explanation deleted)

OK--while I understand, this doesn't sit extremely well with me,
especially in the "subscribe" example; but, barring anyone else hopping
up and down to join my side, I'll accept it.

...snip other good discussion...

I'd try to brainstorm around these problems you raise, perhaps, in
exchange for the goals I was pursuing, but it isn't worth it at this
point to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary