[Zope3-dev] Notations for paths

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:39:07 -0500

At 10:48 AM 12/20/02 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

>I would like to stop using sequences as an alternate canonical
>representation. I think that this was a mistake on my part in the
>first place.

My objection wasn't to the use of strings, or the use of functions, only to
encouraging the proliferation of alternate forms, cheap shortcuts, and/or
underspecified transformations.

I do suggest that functions such as "isAbsolute(path)" be used, rather than
proliferating ".startswith('/')" code.  When someone reads
".startswith('/')", all they know is that the string starts with a
slash.  If they read "isAbsolute(path)", they know it's an absolute path
and can go look at isAbsolute() if they want to know how to spell an
absolute path.