[Zope3-dev] Unittest pleas

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:52:05 -0500

For folks writing unittests, I have a couple of pleas:

- please don't give test*() methods docstrings!  Unittest prints the
  docstring instead of the name of the method being run and that makes
  it much harder to find the test from a verbose output.

  Commenting is fine of course, and I'm in the process of cleaning up
  a bunch of the Zope3 unittests, with checkins shortly.

- please call your test methods "def test<something>" not "def
  check<something>".  Consistency is good here, and "test" is the
  unittest default.  When Jeremy and I do ZODB4 grand renaming, we'll
  fix those tests, but I don't plan to change any existing other Zope3
  test methods.

Thanks,
-Barry