[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:37:50 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to call people's attention to the idea I just had concerning
> directory hierarchy reorganization, before it's monday and it's too
> late. :)
>
> Currently, we have the following:
>
>   python
>     Zope
>       App
>       reusable packages
>
> where 'Zope' is the namespace package for everything developed by the zope
> community, and 'App' is the namespace package that contains the actual
> Zope 3 application server code. 'App' depends on things in 'Zope', but
> not the other way around.
>
> In the current renaming proposal, this would look essentially unchanged:
>
>   python
>     zope
>       app
>       reusable packages
>
> Though we've already granted that 'zodb' should have its own toplevel
> package:
>
>   python
>     zope
>       app
>       reusable packages
>     zodb
>
> Now my proposal would be to move 'app' out of 'zope', as it's out of place
> among all these reusable packages. While we're at it, let's also rename 'app'
> *to* 'zope', as really when we speak about "Zope 3" we are talking about
> the application server in the 'app' package. Since we then have to rename
> the 'zope' namespace to something else, let's pick 'zc' (provisionally,
> there are some objections as it could be considered to stand for
> "Zope Corporation" and not "Zope Community"). (what about shortening
> it to 'z'? Then we have the 'z' everywhere! :)
>
> It'd look like this:
>
>   python
>     zc (was zope)
>       reusable packages
>     zope (was app)
>     zodb

why not

    python
      zope (was app)
      reusable packages e.g.:
      zodb
      pagetemplate
      security

If the reusable packages are reusable they should be able
to stand on their own.

Of course there are dependencies between the reusable packages.
They should be clearly stated in a README file (like we did for
Security and Schema in rotterdam). A Zope3 release then becomes
a 'quality approved' distribution of 'zope' and all the reusable
packages.

regards,

    holger