[Zope3-dev] Re: Post-Sprint Doc-Team report (fwd)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:42:34 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> R. David Murray wrote:
>
>>kapil thangavelu writes:
>>
>>>ok, whats a good label/name ? python programmer guides for usage of zope3
>>>modules outside of the context of zope3 is a bit long winded ;-). python
>>>programmer guide is a bit misleading..
>>>
>>How about "Programmer's Guide to the Reusable Zope Packages"?  Per
>>Jim's discussion with PJE, it is not considered likely that anything
>>in Zope.App is reusable outside Zope.  It's still long winded, but
>>not as bad.

Why not have separate program guides? If they are independent of the app server,
they are independent of each other, by definition. It makes sense to have a
"Zope Schema Developer's Guide", a "Zope Security Developer's Guide" and so on.

>>Or we could substitute 'non-Zope3' for 'reusable'.

That would not make sense.

>>That makes me wish we had settled on a name other than "Zope" for that
>>top level namespace package.  I still think 'ZC' was a decent choice <grin>.
>>

> There's still a chance to convince people before monday, I imagine:
>
> What about renaming Zope.App to:
>
> zc.zope
>
> Currently the 'Zope' name confuses many people into thinking everything under
> 'Zope' is Zope specific.

Are you sure? Do you have evidence to support this?

 > Perhaps we should exploit this obviously insane
> and deluded belief that something named 'Zope' is about 'Zope'

Yes, but what is 'Zope'?  I hope that Zope is not soley an application server.

 > and rename
> 'App' to 'Zope'. :)

I wish we didn't have to deal with this again. But the number of positive responses
shows that we do. Dang.

OK, first of all, I hereby veto "zc". The obvious interpretation is "Zope Corporation"
and that would be absolutely the wrong message to send.

Furthermore, the name "zope" should be bigger than the application server.  Going
back to Bobo, we have always encouraged the use of Zope software in other projects
beside our web application server. "zope" is more than a web application server.
This is more true for Zope 3, since it's so much easier to configure the Zope
components in different ways.

So, having said all that, I'm open to suggestions subject to the notion that
the name "zope" should apply to more than just the app server.  I'm not going to make
a suggestion myself, because, given the understanding that zope is more than the
app server, "Zope.App" as representing the application framework makes perfect sense to
me. :)