Zope: more than one framework (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Post-Sprint Doc-Team report (fwd))

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 23:53:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Even though the name "Zope" should apply to more than just the app server,
> that is most definitely the "obvious interpretation".  I frequently have to
> get into this issue when explaining the use my development group makes of
> Zope components (hm, there's that "zc" again) such as ZPublisher and
> DocumentTemplate.  When I have spoken to developers about coming to work
> for our group, this is often a source of confusion, despite my taking care
> to explain it.  Somehow, the word "Zope" tends to just stick in people's
> heads as being that web GUI thing.

Well put, Phillip.  We need a package with a name that conveys the meaning
"these are the libraries that the Zope application uses".  The name "zope"
clearly conveys the meaning "this is the Zope application", yet we've been
defining it otherwise.

Likewise, some people have been trying to convince the mainstream media
that "hacker" is a *good* word, and that something like "intruder" should
be used in its place so that computer geeks can safely call themselves
hackers (like they used to).  It's not working.

But I'm done discussing this now.  I trust you guys, and it's going to
work whether the names are confusing or not.  Zope 3 will be a great
success.

Shane