[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:25:33 -0500

On Sunday 22 December 2002 14:37, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Per my other post on this subject, may I suggest that even if we stay with
> a nested package for what is now Zope.App, can we choose a different name
> for it, and stop talking about it as the "application framework"?
>
> As an app developer who works mainly with those pesky "reusable packages",
> I think of *them* as the "application framework".  Zope.App, IMO, is a
> content management application *built on* the "application framework"
> that's outside of Zope.App.  "zope.cm" or "zope.content" or "zope.cmf"
> would make a *lot* more sense to me.

I have to protest against this! :-) For me Zope was never *not only* a Content
Management System. In fact, I have written a lot of software in Zope that has
nothing to do with Content Management.

Also, it took me a lot of effort to demystify at conferences the idea in
people thinking it was only a CMS. If Zope 3 is taking a atep back and calls
itself a CMS Framework, then I would find this very disappointing...

I see Zope as either a nice framework for any sort of internet application or
as the glue that can bring/connect many internet applications together.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter