[Zope3-dev] Twisted as server

Ivo van der Wijk ivo@amaze.nl
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:31:01 +0100

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 04:32:37PM -0600, Stephan Richter wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Kapil showed me a version of Zope 3 running off Twisted. As far as I
> understand it, Twisted is more object-oriented and support already many
> more protocols than Medusa. I would really like to see Twisted to become
> the standard Zope server. This way I can implement native SMTP (thinking
> Mailman 3.0 here) and IRC servers using Zope, which I think is really cool. ;-)
>
> What are you opinions? Kapil, how much would it take to put Twisted into
> the Zope 3?

IMHO, twisted is a great framework for writing (single threaded) clients/
servers, but the protocols that come with Twisted are still very immature.
I wouldn't trust them for production use (and as the goal of zope3 isn't
to make Twisted protocols suitable for production use, I think it's not
wise to use Twisted).

Also, the single threadedness of Twisted may conflict.

	Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk                              -=-
Brouwersgracht 132                      Amaze Internet Services V.O.F.