[Zope3-dev] base tag

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:16:27 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > > Are the "../whatever" links in the ZMI tabs a hack, or is that the way
> > > they're supposed to be?
> >
> > It's the way they are suppposed to be.
> >
> > Note that an alternative would be to use absolute URLs where the
> > views generate the absolute URLs for the content.
>
> As an innocent bystander, the absolute URL approach sounds nicer that BASE tag
> magick...

It's not magic. Note that if you never use a URL that has a deifferent
effective URL, you should not get base tags. (There is a bug in this
right now, which will be fixed.)

> There's probably good reasons why the base tag is prefered, where can I find otu
> about them?

It's not really about base tags. It's abour relative or absolute URLs.
Many people like relative URLs. Base tags (or the alternative, redirects)
make relative URLs possible.