[Zope3-dev] Re: Contact Example in zope3

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:12:39 +0000

Hi Jon,

I hope you don't mind me replying to the list. I think there may be
others who have similar questions to yours.

jon wrote:
> Steve
> I've been following the Zope3 list
> and yr efforts to get this example working.
>
> 2 questions
>
> I) where are you installing the Contact product?
> The Chap one docs hinted at putting it in the
> Zope directory and modifying the products.zcml.
> But that caused configuartion problems for me.
> something about ZopeProducts module does not
> exist?

I've created a directory called "zope3_products", somewhere convenient.
I've set my PYTHONPATH environment variable to include my zope3_products
directory and also the  Zope3/lib/python directory for my sandbox.

Inside my zope3_products directory, I've put a ZopeProducts directory.
This is the directory that gets searched as the start of the path when
you use something like ".Contact" in a .zcml file.

Inside my ZopeProducts directory, I've put my Zope3 products, including
Contact from CVS. You can of course symlink into this directory the
directory for the tutorial step you're working on.

The products.zcml file in my Zope3 directory looks like this:

<zopeConfigure
    xmlns='http://namespaces.zope.org/zope'
    xmlns:security='http://namespaces.zope.org/security'
    xmlns:zmi='http://namespaces.zope.org/zmi'
    xmlns:browser='http://namespaces.zope.org/browser'

<!-- add include directives for products here -->
<include package=".Contact" file="Contact.zcml"/>
</zopeConfigure>

I realize that this differs from the products.zcml given in the tutorial.

I think the instructions in the first step of the tutorial refer to a
previous iteration of Zope3. I guess I should check this sometime, and
check in an update if it is wrong. No time today, though!

> II) I'm using a CVS CheckOut of Zope3.
> Should I be using a Zope-3x-branch Checkout instead?

Yes. There's a page on this:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SettingUpAZope3Sandbox

(all on one line).

Or, you can just grab a tarball from the link at the bottom of this page:

http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/?only_with_tag=Zope-3x-branch

> I'm attending the python conference, so I'll be looking forward to
> the Zope3 presentation.

Great. I think I'll just be presenting Jim's tutorial slides. They're
available in CVS as Chapter1/slides.sdd.gz (StarOffice presentation format).

Of course, I hope to answer general questions too :)

I'll probably also talk through the last couple of Steps of the Contact
product tutorial, and explain adapters and decorators and all that stuff.

--
Steve