[Zope3-dev] Opera url parameter troubles

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:49:52 -0500

Casey Duncan wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 February 2002 12:11 pm, Lennart Regebro allegedly wrote:
> > I'm not still 100% sure when these parameters would occur. One thing is
> > clear, a normal website user should never have to see such complicated
> > URLs. I have assumed that this is mostly something that will happen in the
> > management interface. Am I correct in that assumption?
>
> They would be most prevalent in web apps that use views. Since the ZMI is a
> view of any Zope site (in Zope3)  that is why it needs it. I would think any
> CMF-ish thing would too (Views as basically like skins).

URI parameters would not show up when viewing the default view of content:

  http://zyx.com/blah/splat/somecontent

In addition, it is possible and will probably be common to
create content that can only be traversed to get views. Any
content that does not have sub-content can avoid UIR parameters:

  http://zyx.com/blah/splat/somecontent/someview/

In this example, we don't need to signal that info is a view, since
our content can contain any other content.

The problem only occurs when getting other than the default view
of a folder that allows it's content to have any name, as in:

  http://zyx.com/blah/splat/somefolder/someview;view/

> Of course you could just use some other scheme (cookies, sessions, etc) to
> specify the view or other parameters to keep the URL simple.

I don't see how cookies or session parameters could be useful in signaling views.