[Zope3-dev] EventService, references, and subscription semantics

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:53:16 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> class IReference (Interface):
>     """Provides a way to find an object without necessarily keeping a
>     strong reference."""
>
>     def dereference(context):
>         """Returns the referenced object."""

<deletia>

> The nice thing is you can encapsulate both strong and weak references
> this way.  The reference could hold an absolute path, a relative path,
> the object itself, a URL, a database query, etc.

The nice thing with Zope 3 is that we can define an IReferenceLookup
utility, so we can ask for an IReference adapter for a particular
object, and get an appropriate IReference.

Hmmm... this could work well with the EventChannel and ObjectHub.

--
Steve Alexander