[Zope3-dev] Re: Providing flexible adapters

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:38:55 -0500

At 11:15 AM 2/26/02 -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:

>I'm trying to reuse concepts from the Python language.  Every object in
>Python is implicitly "referenceable".  I do not believe there is a need to
>further abstract the concept.

Hrm.  IExternalReference and IExternallyReferenceable?  The names can
change, if the ones I originally suggested are confusing.

I was reusing terms from JNDI, which has the notions of a Reference and
Referenceables.  (class 'javax.naming.Reference' and interface
'javax.naming.Referenceable', respectively).  Of course, Java's interface
names are qualified with packages, which clarifies the context of what is
being meant by "reference" as a reference by *name*.  Presumably, whatever
interface is used for this would similarly qualify its notion of reference
to be this type of "external" or "named" or "persistable" referencing.