[Zope3-dev] Re: Providing flexible adapters

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:57:38 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>> Steve Alexander wrote:
>>

>>> I don't see how a utility helps here. The utility needs to be
>>> "acquired" from the context of the object, not from the context of
>>> the component that wants to get the object's reference.
>>>
>>> Surely an adapter can do that task.
>>

>> Or rather, an adapter's "maker", that is, factory.
>

> Ok, but then you'd need some kind of special registry so that the
> factory can choose what kind of reference to create based on the place
> of the object.

Can't it just walk up the ContextWrapper of the object, and get the
nearest utility that's willing to provide an IReference ?

That's what I originally proposed.

> That's why I think a utility is more appropriate.

I agree, sort of ;-)
The utility needs to be in the context of the object, not in the context
of the thing that wants a reference of the object.

> This is just an academic discussion, though, and I
> need to work on useful stuff.  Thanks for the brain exercise. :-)

I'm glad you're having fun :-)

I actually want a scratch ObjectHub and EventService working very soon,
so this discussion is more practical than academic for me right now.

--
Steve Alexander