[Zope3-dev] Associations

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha@swing.be
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:43:07 +0100

At 23:41 23/01/2002, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

>A frustrating thing about designing in Zope/ZODB is the difficulty of doing
>non-containment relationships.  While paths *can* be used to refer and get
>to other objects within Zope, the folder-like nature of Zope makes it
>natural to do various move operations (cut/paste, rename) that end up
>invalidating any path reference to a particular object.  This is a common
>grievance, causing many people (myself included) to implement their own
>quick solutions to the problem by taking various approaches (see the
>comments area for the ExplicitObjectReferences proposal [1]).

There is a long time I think I should point to this list that it would be a
good idea to check in  Borland Delphi how they adress the problem of
components referencing other components.

Those of us who knows the product know that Delphi form instances own
component instances which cross-reference other component instances in the
same form. Those components can be deleted, copied, cut and pasted exactly
as object instances in the ZMI.

It is really worth it to take a look how they implement their solution.
Remember that Borland Delphi is sort of open source product (at least the
VCL -Visual Component Library source code is available).

My 2 Eurocents.

--

Godefroid Chapelle

BubbleNet sprl