[Zope3-dev] Associations

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:47:48 -0500

On Thursday 24 January 2002 05:18 pm, R. David Murray allegedly wrote:
> Perhaps I'm being naive, since I haven't really developed any
> *large* OO systems yet, but it seems to me there is an easy answer
> to this particular example, and indeed this class of problem.  Once
> the project is created, don't allow it to be moved.  Instead of
> "moving it" to an archive folder, set an 'archived' flag on it.

As another workaround to this issue, I am developing a "Virtual Folder",
which by all appearances is an object manager, but delegates storage and
retrieval of objects to methods or scripts of your choosing.

This would allow you to "move" an item by setting a flag. In fact the object
does not move, but simply disappears from one virtual folder and appears in
another according to the rules set forth in your retrieval methods.

Virtual folders will also allow you to add objects, which will be passed on
to another method of your choosing.

The idea is to allow the managment interface to present the illusion of a
hierarchy that is convenient for managment tasks, while not forcing your data
to live in that hierarchy.

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org