[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Zope3 and Zope2's version object

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:17:20 -0500

    >> With that in mind, should we consider the current Version
    >> object to be something that will *not* make it into Zope3?  I'm
    >> against it going in with the drawbacks that it currently has.

    GvR> Support for versions in ZODB (e.g. FileStorage) is quite deep
    GvR> and complex.  It will be hard to rip it out without damaging
    GvR> other parts.  OTOH, I'd be happy if it was carefully left out
    GvR> from ZODB4, if and when that ever gets started.

IIUC, the versioning that Paul describes isn't the same thing as
versions in the ZODB.  Paul's thinking more along the lines of a
revision control system for content, which probably would not be
implemented with long-running ZODB versions.  I'm not even sure if it
would use multiple revision at the storage level to achieve this.

But I agree with the sentiments that ZODB versions ought to be
carefully examined and use cased for ZODB4.

-Barry