[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Zope3 and Zope2's version object

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 05:04:18 -0500

  >> With that in mind, should we consider the current Version object
  >> to be something that will *not* make it into Zope3?  I'm against
  >> it going in with the drawbacks that it currently has.

  GvR> Support for versions in ZODB (e.g. FileStorage) is quite deep
  GvR> and complex.  It will be hard to rip it out without damaging
  GvR> other parts.  OTOH, I'd be happy if it was carefully left out
  GvR> from ZODB4, if and when that ever gets started.

I don't have any interest in the Version object in Zope, but I think
the version feature of ZODB is crucial.  It is the only hope a
long-running transaction has of success in an system using optimistic
concurrency control.

I would like to see the feature renamed in ZODB4, but I think it
should remain.  (Perhaps revisions -> versions & versions -> locks.)

Jeremy