[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Zope3 and Zope2's version object

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:21:58 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > I like the concept of object revisions, and I think that's the right
> > word to describe them.  A particular object revision is uniquely named
> > by the object id and its serial number.
>
> It's clear from this discussion that the words "revision" and
> "version" are closely associated in many people's minds, which means
> that using both for different concepts in the same context is asking
> for trouble.  I'm fine with keeping the term "revision", even though
> "version" is probably the more common term for this concept.
>
> > But I'm +1 on renaming ZODB's
> > "versions" to something better, and "locks" seems about right given
> > its functionality.
>
> Agreed.  But ZODB's "version" interface does more than locking
> objects: it also stores modified *revisions* of the locked objects in
> the database.  (In fact this seems the only way to lock an object.)
> Is that really necessary?  Isn't it enough to store locking
> informantion in the database?

Where would you store the modified version then ?

Tha main use of versions was until recently to do some modifications as
one long-running transaction that you could either commit or rollback
as a whole.

Hannu