[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Zope3 and Zope2's version object

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:48:01 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Where would you store the modified version then ?
>
> Same place as where you keep it in general until you commit a
> transaction.  I.e. it's the application's problem.

I know that most ZODB storages do it somewhat like that, but for
example in a typical SQL database I do not have to keep my data
in the application until I commit it - it is just in logically
separate space in the DB server.

When I want to have _long-running_ transactions I would definitely
want the DB to cooperate in managing them and not just keeping info
that something is locked. Of course we may be speaking of
different levels of DB - in some circumstances it may be useful to
keep the currently modified data in different storages for
performance/space/other reasons.

Or am I already completely lost in renaming (version->variant->lock :) ?

Hannu