[Zope3-dev] Associations

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:41:08 -0500

Zope Pope, BDFL, here. ;)

I like the direction this discussion is going.
While there isn't consensus, at least a few of
you are going in a direction I'd like to see us
move.

Part of my grand plan for Zope 3 is to replace the catalog
with separate cooperating components. A core component is a,
as yet unnamed, service that keeps track of content objects
and relations between them. This is very similar to some
ideas mentioned here, which I formally encourage. ;)

I've attached a rough sketch of what I'm looking for.

- There's a service that assignes unique ids to content and
  keeps track of content location.

- The service also has a collection of meta-information components.
  These keep track of content meta-information. They include:

  o Pure meta-data containers, like the meta-data table in the
    current catalog.

  o Indexes

  o Link collections, as proposed by Ken.

  o Other meta-data objects that we haven't thought of yet.

- Applications, like cataloging and link management can be provided
  on top of this basic architecture with adapters and views.

I'd really like to see some ideas along these lines worked out.