[Zope3-dev] Re: New Pyskel changes

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:36:57 -0400

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> I really, really do not like the latest changes you checked into pyskel.py.

> think that the auto-generated code looks really ugly now.

How so?

 > You expose private
> (double _) methods in implementations, which is not a good thing I believe.

Huh? What private methods do I expose? I have no idea what you're talking about.

> Could we change that back to the old way, or do you have a good reason for
> changing this?

I had recieved compaints about the old generated doc strings, which were useless
and duplicated information in the comments.

I added logic to copy doc strings from the interface. This has the advantage that
implementation methods (and classes) have meaningful doc strings without
duplication of code and rersulting inconsistency.

Having said that, there are few tools that make use of doc strings, and those that
do, parse the code rather than introspect on objects. Tools that parse the code
won't see the doc strings. So, given that, I'd be happy to eliminate the code that
copies the doc strings.