[Zope3-dev] Re: RDB Stuff

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 02:51:48 -0400

> Is there still time to look at ADO.net for some ideas on the RDB layer?

I don't have the time. However, I would urge you to think about an=20
implementation and write up a proposal.

> I've been thinking how effective it might be to use the DataSet (ADO.net's
> relational, multi-table, in-memory disconnected resultset) as a unifying
> structure for various RDB, Catalog, XML and Object Property results. It
> would seem like a productive and common use-case to fill catalog queries =
of
> related objects into tables of a DataSet, and have a mini-relational model
> to process against, update or simply use as their index to the requested
> objects. This would help people coming from an RDB background use the ODB
> more effectively, not to mention the extent to which ADO.net will be in u=
se
> by the time Zope3 arrives, and the attraction of a familiar RDB data acce=
ss
> layer.

Well, we simply provide the lowest layer. You easily put your own layer on =
top=20
of it. However, I would not want the Zope core support to ve specific to on=
e=20
of these frameworks.=20
Also, the new ZCatalog (namely ObjectHub) is ultra-flexible and you can do =
all=20
these things.

Regards,
Stephan