[Zope3-dev] Voting on Schema design

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:35:50 -0400

    CD> So then, things above Zope are global modules that someday may
    CD> not be distributed with Zope (when they land in Python) and
    CD> possibly would be put into site-packages when installing
    CD> Zope3, no?

No.  Installing Zope3 never puts anything in site-packages.

But the "things above Zope" may be independently distributed, and if
I, as a sysadmin decide my users might want to use one of those
independent things, I'd run the normal distutils install command on
them, and then they /would/ be installed in site-packages.

    CD> This is also a place for required packages that are
    CD> not part of the Zope3 project at all, and are also not
    CD> distributed with Python.

If Zope3 requires them, IMO they should come with the Zope3 distro,
unless what comes with the Officially Supported Python Version is good
enough.

    CD> So by that line of reasoning here is a contrived argument why
    CD> each package is in lib/python/

    | Persistence    Hopes to be part of Python one day
    | Schema         Ditto (perhaps wishfully?)
    | Transaction    Ditto
    | Interface      Ditto
    | zLOG           Ditto

Or to be replaced by the PEP 282 logging system.

    | ZODB           Arguable, it is a standalone package, won't be
                     Python core tho
With ya on that one.

    | PageTemplate   Dunno, seems fishy to me ;^), is it standalone?
                     what about TAL?

I think PageTemplate (maybe) and TAL (definitely) fall into the same
category as ZODB -- useful outside of Zope but probably not enough to
make it into Python.

    | ZopeLegacy     A parallel to the Zope package. IMHO should be Zope/Legacy
    | SOAPpy         Dependancy not part of Zope project
    | zlib           Dependancy not part of Zope project
    | Zope           Well, Duh!

    CD> The only one that doesn't make any sense to me is
    CD> PageTemplate. Can anyone justify its placement?

PageTemplate might be too Zope-specific, but TAL at a minimum is
probably useful outside Zope.

    CD> With ZopeLegacy you could argue that you don't want it inside
    CD> Zope so that it would be easier to separate the two later I
    CD> suppose. As for ZODB, I'm not sure. I vote that all "not
    CD> sures" go under Zope though just to be consistent.

Except that ZODB has a history of being independently available and
living outside the Zope package, so for backwards compatibility it
should probably remain that way.

-Barry