[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:51:03 -0400

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> I'd like to offer a pretty radical suggestion: Put the Zope component
> metadata attributes in prefix slots, right in the python class source.

Aaaah, no. That's one of the problems ZCML was trying to avoid, for a number
of reasons:

- We want to minimize, or eliminate changes to source to make
  classes usable in Zope.

- Allow a site manager to configure how software will be used
  *without* modifying the software.  With your proposal, the
  site manager would jave to modify the original source to
  make changes.

> Have some defaults that make sense for vanilla python classes, so they
> can be used securely without modification. Use ZCML for configuration
> where attributes in the source are not desirable.

That would be pretty much everwhere.

> I've been using C# for 18 months now, and the declarative attributes
> work, IMHO.

I'm all in favor of adding something like this to Python and I know
Zope would make good use of it. I don't think that this would affect
the need for ZCML.