[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Philipp von Weitershausen philikon@gmx.net
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:13:24 +0200

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> I'd guess one other advantage of zcml is that if you can define your
> dtd well enough, you can actually use better tools than text editors
> to configure your Zope installation.  I don't know what the state of
> the art in xml editors is, but I xml is probably largely like html --
> you really don't want to hand edit it if you can help it (present
> company excepted :).

I remember the W3C counting human-readability to the advantages of XML.
There are a lot of people who code HTML manually and I guess they
wouldn't do any different with XML.

> That said, it might also be worthwhile to map zcml into an internal
> object model or intermediate representation.  That way for folks who
> are more comfortable slinging Python than xml, they can write Python
> code like what Shane described.

That might make debugging a little easier, too. Currently, it's
event-based, I think (using expat). Would there be any serious downsides
memory-wise and/or performance-wise if we'd first parse the XML into a
DOM or something?

Phil