[Zope3-dev] ZCML alternative

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:19:52 -0400

> Also, I don't agree with you in that a site administrator who
> doesn't know Python also doesn't know XML. XML as a universal data
> format (not a language, obviously) should not only be known my all
> people who deal with web servers but I think it already *is*
> well-known among them. If not, it doesn't take all that much time to
> learn it.

The person I was referring to was not a webmaster and did not have
HTML or XML skills.

> Python, on the other hand, does a lot more than just data description.
> As a programming language, it relies on syntax, code blocks etc. etc.
> This would make it more likely for people to make mistakes when they
> don't know Python.

That's why I proposed a configuration language.  Some people argued
for XML, but it has the same problems as Python: it's easy to miss a
closing tag or type ">" instead of "/>".  Don't tell me that XML has
no syntax.