[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:11:45 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>>   1: You have to put a ./ before relative URLs

> Why?

Otherwise URL parsers in browsers get confused and think that "view" is
a URL scheme.

>>   http://server.tld/folder/container/index.html;view
>
> +1

Not available, as it obscures the filename extension.

> This problem sux, can't we ignore it an pretend it's gone away? ;-)
>
> My own favourite, of course, is still:
>
> http://server.tld/folder/container.html
>
> ...of course. Can someone point out to me where this falls down?

Is "container.html" content, or is it a view?

If it is a view, are you willing to ensure that you won't have any
content ever called "container.html" ?

You can arrange for a particular container to have a policy that removes
or deals with the ambiguity. However, in other cases, there needs to be
a way of explicitly signifying whether you're talking about content, or
a view.

There's also the issue of other namespaces, such as the "etc" namespace
for getting to services.

--
Steve Alexander