[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:09:02 -0400

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Casey Duncan wrote:
> > Here's a crazy idea, how about:
> >
> > http://server/folder/container;view=index.html
> >
> > I think this states the intent better because we are interested in the
> > container object (not a subobject) and we really just want an alternate
> > view of it which we can specify as a parameter.
> >
> > An you still get the file extension at the end.
>
> Another alternative:
>
> http://server/folder/container;views/index.html

This is kind of neat. It has two disadvantages:

- The first, and biggest, is that it makes relative URLs
  hard you generate. Suppose you were in index.html and you wanted to
  give a link to:

  http://server/folder/container;etc/Services

  How would you spell the relative link? You'd have to
  use:

     ../container;etc/Services

  but then you'd need to know the container name.

  Of course, if you were in ZPT, you could use:

    tal:attributes="href string:${content;view/absolute_ur};etc/Services"

  A related issue issue is how to do traversal given a container using
  the Python traveral API. You'd need to traverse from folder. I suppose
  you could traverse with:

    ".;views/index.html"

  but this seems rather messy.

- ;views doesn;t seem to qualify the right thing, which is
  index.html. But this might not be so bad. It sort of qualifies the
  namespace, rather than the name.